Tuesday, February 26, 2008

3 Hour Tour

I toured my informant's room tonight with the other informant present. Unlike Gilligan's Island 3 hour tour this one was less light hearted and lacked comedy. After spending 3 hours talking with my informants tonight, I am exhausted. It began with and ended with heavy and serious conversation. The girls were very open and I noticed them watching my reactions. It was as if my facial expressions were a gauge for how much the girls would feel comfortable sharing with me in future conversations. I focused on not showing judgment with my expressions and rather just showing understanding, interest, and compassion. One of the girls spoke about a girl she knew who was struggling with certain issues. I knew that the other girl in our midst also struggled with just the same problem. For this reason, when the matter was brought up I was careful to remain very cool and not react at all. I noticed that the girl in our midst, who struggles with the same issue, looked over at me to see what my response would be. I was careful because I knew that by watching my response she was likely deciding whether she would ever share with me her own personal struggle.

I chose to record my informants and it seems to be a great way to have them converse very naturally. Taking notes would seem to serve as a constant reminder that our conversation is for research. While recording them however, it seems that they were quick to forget about the project and just talk and share very naturally.

I can not help but to have a heart for these girls. They have a lot to say and they are fighting against hard times.

No comments: