Wednesday, February 13, 2008

When All Is Said and Done

I having been thinking a lot about being sure that I have the time I need to really connect with my teenage informants. I take the commitment serious that I know I will need to make to these kids even after the semester is finished. I know the lonely feelings I felt at that age. I often felt brushed off and ignored by adults. For these reasons and others, I do not want to engage in a real and personal relationship with the teens and then walk away when the research is over and leave them feeling abandoned and disregarded. I know the end of the semester is still months away and yet I still find myself thinking about it a lot.

1 comment:

Professor Rubenstein said...

As we said in class--you do have a responsibility to them. You can't just walk away--especially from teens who crave connection.
In this case--we also have IM, text, emails, etc

important for this generation.
Good that you are thinking about it now.