Friday, March 7, 2008

Where One Door Shuts, Another One Opens

I tried to get together either one or both of my informants yesterday. Given the late notice, they both already had their own plans.

As far as P. is concerned I had offered to take her to the night classes she attends at the high school (she must do this in order to graduate in time). As we continued our conversation through text messaging she then informed me that she was planning on not going to school tonight because her friend was home from college and she wanted to hang out with her. I wondered to myself, "Could I be included in this?" and approached the subject in an indirect, unthreatening way. After a longer pause as I tried to keep up with her fast texting skills, I asked her what they planned on doing. She quickly replied that they would probably just drive around aimlessly. I wrote back mentioning that if there was ever a time that that I could just tag along then to let me know. My hope was that she would invite me then to come along but it was obvious that P. was not going to open that door. Instead she politely replied, "Yeah, when me and D. are hanging out one day I'll let you know."

D. also had her own other plans at that moment so I faced another shut door, yet where one door shuts another opens. D. responded to my interest in trying to spend time with her and she set up something with me for today. Today I will be with D. after she finishes work today and meet her at her house. I have not been able to see her room yet so I am looking forward seeing it, and also to have time alone with her.

1 comment:

Professor Rubenstein said...

Good one Rachel. You're bloging on "methods" in addition to content. Important for final section on DOING fieldwork.